Grading the Gators: Evaluating the team’s progress through three games

<p>UF linebacker Jarrad Davis (40) and defensive lineman Bryan Cox Jr. record a tackle during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky.</p>

UF linebacker Jarrad Davis (40) and defensive lineman Bryan Cox Jr. record a tackle during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19, 2015, at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky.

After three games, the Gators are undefeated and looking to continue the winning streak against Tennessee on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. With the season a quarter of the way finished, here’s how each unit ranks following the first Southeastern Conference game of the season.

Offense: C

No one expected the Gators to come out and score 70 points against any of their opponents, but Florida has underwhelmed on offense through the first three games.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Will Grier seems to have a firm grasp on the starting role, but coach Jim McElwain has refused to rule out sophomore Treon Harris as a potential starter down the road.

The inability to settle on a quarterback and develop offensive consistency is holding the offense back from reaching its full potential.

Florida’s running backs seem to be a step ahead of last season, and the Gators are throwing the ball downfield with an increased frequency.

But the offensive line isn’t where it needs to be, and Florida has failed to put its last two opponents away.

The Gators are capable of a lot more on offense. It’s time they started playing like it.

Defense: B+

Without question, the defense is far and away the best unit on the team.

Vernon Hargreaves III missed the team’s 31-24 victory over East Carolina, but he looked back to full strength against Kentucky when he intercepted quarterback Patrick Towles and sprinted 53 yards in the other direction.

The pass rush has been effective in pressuring the quarterback while the secondary has provided tight coverage that allows the defensive line time to get into the backfield.

UF’s defense is one of the best in the nation, and the only thing keeping it from receiving an ‘A’ grade is the 24 points given up to the Pirates.

Special Teams: D+

Based on his performance throughout the early going, I’m sure Austin Hardin wishes he could have a do-over when it comes to kicking field goals. The redshirt junior has missed three in the last two games, and fans are calling for his replacement.

They have good reason to. Hardin has missed three straight field goals dating back to UF’s game against East Carolina, and he entered the year having made just 11-of-22.

Florida is leaving points on the board with Hardin, and the Gators may look elsewhere soon. To Hardin’s credit, the majority of his kickoffs sailed out of the end zone for touchbacks.

He has a powerful leg, but he needs to use it effectively. UF’s punt unit still has some kinks to work out. The Gators were whistled for an illegal punting formation against the Wildcats, which McElwain attributed to the inexperience on the roster.

On a positive note, freshman Antonio Callaway displayed an ability to return punts after taking one 37 yards. He should be taking punt return duties off Hargreaves’ hands for the rest of the season.

MVP: Jarrad Davis

Let’s be honest: the linebacker unit has struggled due to a combination of injuries and inexperience, but junior Jarrad Davis has been exceptional.

His speed helps him get to the ball carrier quickly, and it shows: Davis has combined for 22 tackles over UF’s last two games.

Antonio Morrison came into the season as the consensus top linebacker, but Davis is becoming more than just a prominent contributor.

He could soon be one of the leaders on defense.

The Biggest Disappointment: Demarcus Robinson

Demarcus Robinson has disappeared for Florida, and it’s one of the reasons the Gators have been mediocre on offense.

Robinson was a revelation last season as a sophomore, and his breakout game came against none other than Kentucky. He had 15 catches for 216 yards and two touchdowns as the Gators downed the Wildcats 36-30 in triple-overtime.

But in this year’s matchup, Robinson was a non-factor.

He had a meager three catches for 16 yards on Saturday, not exactly numbers you want from your supposed No. 1 wide receiver. UF’s offense needs Robinson to be a threat to give the team more playmakers, and it won’t happen until he stops taking off for the sidelines every time he catches a pass.

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311