Former Broadway show and recipient of five Tony Awards "Peter and the Starcatcher" is opening in Gainesville this weekend.

The musical play is based on Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson’s novel, which tells the story of how Peter Pan and Neverland came to be. The play premieres at the Hippodrome State Theatre, located at 25 SE Second Place, on Friday and closes Sep. 27. This will be the third play for which the Hippodrome has partnered with the UF School of Theatre and Dance, granting students the experience of performing in a professional theater.

Andrew Quimby, a 20-year-old UF theatre and economics junior, said this show has given him an opportunity to work in a different atmosphere.

"It’s just a really positive, challenging environment, and I’ve really enjoyed it," he said.

Quimby, who plays the role of both Slank and Hawking Clam, auditioned for the show at the end of April and received the script at the beginning of summer.

"There’s no date to be off line," Quimby said. "You’re expected to work and do everything on your own and come to rehearsal prepared, know your music, know your lines."

The role of Hawking Clam also provided a new challenge for Quimby due to how physical the character is. With a month consisting of eight rehearsals a week, the biggest struggle was finding the balance between fully committing and not wearing himself out.

"The entire time I was running and jumping, and I was overdoing myself to the point where I would get home and I would ache and my leg would hurt," Quimby said.

Audiences can expect to see this physicality in the show’s fight scenes and slapstick.

"It’s a no-think show in the best way," Quimby said. "It’s entertaining, it’s fun, it’s quick, and it never takes a moment to…stop from laughing."

And while the singing, dancing and humor will ensure that children will enjoy the show, they aren’t the target audience. The story focuses on the friendship of two children, so adults can appreciate seeing it develop and change. The play is both a comedy and a drama.

The major message? Never take anything for granted, Quimby said.

Meanwhile, longtime fans of the play like Ashley Vonada, a 20-year-old UF math and physics junior, await its arrival.

"Peter and the Starcatchers is one of my favorite plays and books of all time," Vonada said.

She said she’s excited to see what the Hippodrome does with the play.

"If the audience has nearly as much fun as we’re having as actors, then it’ll definitely be worth it," Quimby said. "Because we’re having a blast."

Discounted preview performances began Wednesday and will continue tonight. Tickets can be purchased on thehipp.org or from the Hippodrome box office at 352-375-4477. Weekend prices vary based on time and seating, but will begin at $8 for students, $18 for seniors and those under 30, and $28 for the general public.