Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a local man Saturday night after he reportedly stole a bicycle when a tire went flat on the one he was using.

At about 10 p.m. Saturday, Keivon Hadley, 20, entered Royal Village apartments and broke a cable lock with his hands, according to a police report.

An Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputy living in the community reportedly heard Hadley breaking the lock and walked outside to see him pushing a blue Glendale women’s bike. A purple women’s mountain bike was leaning on a wall near the bike rack.

Hadley later told police he visited his grandma using the purple bike, which he found outside his girlfriend’s Windsor Terrace apartment, according to the report.

He reportedly said his girlfriend gave him permission to use the bike, but he didn’t know who owned it.

Hadley said he took the blue bike because the purple bike got a flat tire and he didn’t want to walk, according to the report.

When police asked how hard it was to break the lock, he reportedly said, "It ain’t s---... those things are garbage."

Hadley declined requests for comment.

Police arrested Hadley on a loitering and prowling charge and took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Sunday afternoon on his own recognizance.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @gsabella

Keivon Hadley