Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Maude’s Classic Café and Sidecar bar is under new management after Gainesville Police arrested the owner Friday night after he reportedly filmed a young girl in the shower.

At about 10:10 p.m., Matthew Charles Wrighton, 52, reportedly held a camera to the window of a Gainesville home where a girl was showering, according to a police report.

Wrighton is the owner of Maude’s at 101 SE Second Place, Suite 101, according to the report.

As of press time, he could not be reached for comment.

The girl reportedly saw a hand holding the camera behind her window and ran from the bathroom.

Wrighton entered the home as the girl was telling a witness what happened, according to the report.

When the witness asked Wrighton what he was doing outside the window, he reportedly apologized and confessed to having a problem.

Karen Johnson, an 18-year-old UF biology sophomore, said the bad news shouldn’t affect the cafe’s business.

She said she still plans to eat there regardless of what happened to the owner.

"Innocent until proven guilty," she said.

The cafe has been closed since 5 p.m. Sunday for remodeling, according to a sign on the cafe door.

The café will reopen today for normal business hours.

Police arrested and charged Wrighton with attempted voyeurism of a child younger than 16.

He was taken to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Saturday night on a $25,000 bail.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Gsabella

Matthew Charles Wrighton