<p>UF tight end C'yontai Lewis celebrates as he scores a touchdown during Florida's 61-13 win against New Mexico State on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF tight end C'yontai Lewis celebrates as he scores a touchdown during Florida's 61-13 win against New Mexico State on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

For tight end Jake McGee, the toughest part is over.

After almost two years without being able to make an impact in a live game, the sixth-year senior showed up Saturday.

While he only had two catches for 18 yards in Florida’s 61-13 win against New Mexico State, McGee said the season opener was a good way to transition back into action.

"It was a great feeling," McGee said. "Just really one of those that can’t be explained. To me, that was a happy day."

While McGee’s return provided a spark and gave Florida another veteran on offense, the tight end corps as a whole found success.

On Saturday, in head coach Jim McElwain’s UF debut, Florida’s three tight ends — McGee, C’yontai Lewis and DeAndre Goolsby — recorded seven catches, 100 yards and two touchdowns.

Lewis — a 6-foot-4, 228 pound redshirt freshman — paved the way with 44 yards and a pair of touchdown grabs from Will Grier.

Goolsby had three catches of his own, gaining 38 yards in the process.

"I’m excited to see the way they’ve grown and the way they’ve really sort of stepped into what they’re going to be asked to do," McGee said. "And can’t wait to see them keep going."

McElwain said Lewis has impressed him since Spring practice and he enjoyed watching Lewis have a solid night against New Mexico State.

"I think as he grows, and continues to develop in the offense, he’s one of those versatile guys," McElwain said.

"He still needs to get bigger and stronger, but he might be our best point of attack blocker as well."

Over the past two seasons, Florida’s tight ends have been virtually non-existent in the passing game.

In 24 games, UF tight ends totaled just 30 receptions, 279 yards and three touchdowns in the last two seasons overall.

McElwain is making sure the poor production remains a thing of the past.

"Well, we believe in using tight ends here and believe in multiple formations and shifts," he said.

"The more they can handle, the more effective we’re going to be offensively."

And McGee said there’s no reason why there should be any drop off from the tight ends as the season progresses.

"As a unit, we expect to be productive," McGee said. "We expect to make plays."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126