UF vet hopes to save 1 million cats

<p>Amber Oden, 25, feeds a treat to Taz, a 4-year-old female cat, at the Alachua County Humane Society while Margo (from left), Odin and Willow play on the floor.</p>

Amber Oden, 25, feeds a treat to Taz, a 4-year-old female cat, at the Alachua County Humane Society while Margo (from left), Odin and Willow play on the floor.

Cats will be able to live their full nine lives thanks in part to a UF professor.

A recent initiative launched by UF and the University of California at Davis veterinary schools seeks to save 1 million cats across North America from being euthanized for more than five years.

“Cats in shelters are euthanized at a much higher rate than dogs are, and we felt it was time to turn the spotlight on the unique needs of shelter cats,” said Dr. Julie Levy, a UF professor of shelter medicine who helped launch the program.

The cats rescued by the challenge are housed in animal shelters.

“Our goal is to give shelters tools for saving cats that we have found to be very effective at other shelters,” Levy said.

The project will cost $1.8 million over the course of five years, which is money the program already has due to a donation from Maddie’s Fund, a foundation dedicated to the well-being of companion animals.

“The campaign offers practical choices to reduce euthanasia and increase live outcomes for shelter cats,” said Patricia Diskant, 24, a third-year doctoral student at UF’s College of Veterinary Medicine. She assisted in research and instruction for the Million Cat Challenge.

Joy Drawdy, co-owner of local pet store Earth Pets and founder of Gainesville Pet Rescue, observed how effective the program has been in Gainesville after adopting cats from the Alachua County Humane Society.

“The return-to-field initiative in the Million Cat Challenge is the only alternative to being euthanized for these feral shelter cats,” Drawdy said.

According to the program’s website, participating shelters have saved the lives of more than 250,000 cats so far, and the number continues to grow.

“We are hopeful that we will save 1 million cats before our five years are up,” Levy said. “We intend to save as many cats as possible.”