Yon Hall opening adds more space for Health and Human Performance students

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">Jamie Harshman, a 21-year-old UF business and mechanical engineering senior, walks his bicycle to the bike rack located at the entrance of Yon Hall September 8, 2015.</span></p>

Jamie Harshman, a 21-year-old UF business and mechanical engineering senior, walks his bicycle to the bike rack located at the entrance of Yon Hall September 8, 2015.

Students in the College of Health and Human Performance will soon have a new space to perform research, take classes and study.

Although Yon Hall was constructed in 1966, the space has been renovated so the college is celebrating its grand opening at 9 a.m. Friday, said Michael Reid, dean of the College of Health and Human Performance.

“The finished work and the walls and the layout and the academic purpose of that floor is completely new,” he said. “It’s a grand opening in a lot of ways.”

New research and classroom space for all three Health and Human Performance departments — health education and behavior, tourism recreation and sport management, and applied physiology and kinesiology — are part of the $1.4 million renovation, wrote Christine Coombes, the director of communications for HHP, in an email.

Concerns including structural issues, leaking pipes, problems with the electrical system and asbestos came up during renovation.

These issues have been taken care of, Reid said.

He said the college has been unable to recruit at the national level because of the state of its facilities. 

“[Yon Hall] gives us a chance to really grow our research program,” Reid said.

The department of tourism, recreation and sport management will house its Laboratory for Athlete and Athletics Development and Research in Yon Hall, and applied physiology and kinesiology will have additional research space for the Applied Neuromechanics Lab, Coombes said.

UF applied physiology and kinesiology senior Nicole Vesely said she often researches in the neuromechanics lab. She said she’s looking forward to doing her research at Yon Hall.

“I think it’ll be really beneficial for students and faculty alike to have that extra space,” the 21-year-old said.

Contact Alexandra Fernandez at afernandez@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @alexmfern