Monday, April 29, 2024
<p>UF wide receivers Demarcus Robinson (11) and Antonio Callaway (81) celebrate after Robinson's first-quarter touchdown during Florida's 38-10 win against Ole Miss on Oct. 3, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF wide receivers Demarcus Robinson (11) and Antonio Callaway (81) celebrate after Robinson's first-quarter touchdown during Florida's 38-10 win against Ole Miss on Oct. 3, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

A year ago, Demarcus Robinson was Florida’s lone reliable playmaker in the passing game.

But four games into this season, the receiver seemed to fall off the map, his impact on the field becoming almost nonexistent.

That changed on Saturday in No. 25 Florida’s 38-10 win over No. 3 Ole Miss.

In the biggest game of Florida’s early season, Robinson came in clutch, catching eight passes for a season-high 98 yards.

In the first half alone, Robinson had six catches and 94 yards, showing glimpses of his big-play potential that enveloped his play a year ago when he led the Gators in receptions (53), receiving yards (810) and touchdowns (seven).

"He did his job and caught the ball," UF coach Jim McElwain said.

Robinson’s highlight performances came on the Gators’ second offensive series of the game.

After Florida went three-and-out on its opening drive, starting quarterback Will Grier targeted Robinson three times.

First, a 14-yard dart to the right sideline, a play where Robinson danced around before hopping out of bounds.

Second, a 4-yard gain on a screen pass where he showed aggression, breaking a tackle before going down.

And third, a 36-yard touchdown grab in the middle of the end zone with two Ole Miss defenders fighting Robinson for the ball.

"They gave us a look and he made a hell of a catch," Grier said. "That’s what you got to do in big games to win."

Added McElwain: "It worked out like it was designed. I wish all our plays worked like they were designed. … Will stood in there and set his feet and he delivered."

And despite Robinson’s increased production against the Rebels, McElwain said the junior wide receiver still has room to grow.

Heading into Saturday’s contest, Robinson had a team-best 20 catches but just 153 receiving yards, resulting in a meager 7.7 yards-per-catch average that ranked last among UF receivers with at least five catches.

His 12.3 yards per catch against Ole Miss was a step in the right direction, but McElwain said Robinson’s still far away from where he needs to be.

"He’s got to learn to catch it and run and not dance around," McElwain said.

"Those guys are going to come get ya, so you might as well try to run away from them really fast."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126