<p>Abby Detering (14) sets the ball during warmups before Florida's 3-0 win against Georgia on Oct. 10, 2014, in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Abby Detering (14) sets the ball during warmups before Florida's 3-0 win against Georgia on Oct. 10, 2014, in the O'Connell Center.

Abby Detering has a rocket arm.

Down 8-6 in the second set against South Carolina after capturing the first set 25-22, Detering took the ball behind the service line for Florida — eight times.

The sophomore setter and the No. 12 Gators rattled off seven straight points to help win the second set and propel UF to a sweep of the Gamecocks (25-22, 25-14, 25-21) Friday night in Columbia, South Carolina.

Florida has now won seven straight games, all against conference opponents.

Detering’s serving run was key following a close first set between the two teams.

UF (16-4, 8-3 Southeastern Conference) exchanged six leads and 14 tied scores with South Carolina in the first set.

But Rhamat Alhassan helped Florida to break away.

Alhassan, a sophomore middle blocker, pounded five kills, including two within UF’s final five points. The Glenarden, Maryland, native finished tied with a match-high 11 kills.

South Carolina (9-14, 2-8 SEC) responded quickly in set two, jumping out to an 8-5 lead.

But Detering and the Gators strung together a seven-point run, flattening any remaining momentum the Gamecocks might’ve had.  

Alex Holston slammed a kill to gain a 19-14 advantage before she served up six straight points for the Gators, who took the set 25-14.

Holston, a junior right-side hitter, mirrored Alhassan by notching 11 kills in the match as well.

Florida then went on to take the third set 25-21 backed once again by Holston, who crushed a her fifth kill of the frame to seal the sweep.

Coach Mary Wise said her team could’ve played better, despite the sweep.

“(South Carolina) played very unconventionally and for the most part we didn’t respond too well to that,” Wise said. “Fortunately, our offense kind of saved us.”

The Gators will next travel to Athens, Georgia, to square off against Georgia on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. The Bulldogs (5-16, 0-9 SEC) have lost their last nine games, all to SEC opponents.

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12