Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a local man Tuesday morning after he reportedly called for support against two imaginary robbers.

At about 3:05 a.m. Tuesday, Joshua D. Porter, 29, reportedly told a dispatcher he woke up and saw two men near his bedroom, according to a police report.

Porter said he chased them from his home as they pointed a gun at him and then escaped in a getaway car with his PlayStation 3, according to the report.

"I have no idea how these people got into my apartment," Porter said Tuesday evening.

He reportedly waited 45 minutes to call police. Officers arrived, parked at a distance and walked toward the house without using their lights, according to the report.

The officers reported watching Porter open the trunk of his car and stow a black box before walking back to the house.

When the officers and Porter met, he directed their attention toward tire marks from the supposed getaway car while closing his trunk, according to the report. Porter agreed to open the trunk after a request from the officers, who discovered the black box was Porter’s PS3, according to the report.

Porter later told police the PS3 wasn’t stolen, according to the report. However, Porter said two men — one with a rifle — did rob him, and police didn’t thoroughly investigate.

"I told the cops that I was robbed, and they decided to say that it was a false police report and arrest me," he said.

Police charged Porter with making a false report and took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Tuesday afternoon on his own recognizance.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @gsabella