Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a Florida man Sunday night after police said he shoplifted and later fractured an officer’s skull.

At about 8:15 p.m. Sunday, Dennison F. Miller, 44, a resident of Bell, Florida, stole about $250 in items from the Archer Road Wal-Mart, most of which were alcohol, according to a police report.

A man tried to stop Miller and grabbed his shirt, which he squirmed out of before running. The man followed Miller and told police he ran into Spanish Trace Apartments, according to the report.

Police soon found Miller down the road near Hookah Nite Cafe, according to the report.

Miller shoved an officer and continued running until an officer stopped him at Archer Woods Apartments, less than half a mile away, according to the report.

As the officer tried to bring Miller to the ground, Miller got on top of her and started hitting her, according to the report.

A man and an officer tackled Miller and struggled to handcuff him until the officer used his Taser, according to the report.

The first officer who fought Miller endured several scrapes and cuts, along with a skull fracture, according to the report.

Police arrested Miller on two charges of larceny, two charges of battery on an officer and three charges of resisting an officer.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $212,500 bond.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Gsabella