Museumgoers will travel thousands of years into the past tonight  with locally brewed beers in hand.

Drink with the Extinct!, a fundraiser that combines beer with history, will be held at 7 p.m. at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Participants must be at least 21 years old to attend, Kara Schwartz, the event’s organizer, wrote in an email.

The proceeds will go toward funding butterfly gardens at local schools, she said.

More than $6,000 has been raised through ticket sales and sponsorships.

All 150 tickets cost $25 for museum members and $30 for non-members, which sold out Oct. 21.

Swamp Head Brewery, First Magnitude Brewing Company and Alligator Brewing will give free beer samples to attendees.

According to UF regulations, the sale of alcohol is limited to certain buildings, which includes the museum. Drinking games are not allowed. today’s fundraiser is not a UF student event, Schwartz said.

“As local businesses, they are invested in their community and making a positive impact,” she said.

Laura Predny, a close friend of Schwartz and a museum patron, said she remembered when Schwartz was brainstorming the idea for the fundraiser months ago. 

“She was just kinda throwing the ideas out there,” Predny said.

She said she is most excited about exploring the First Colony exhibit.

“I’m a huge fan of the Natural History Museum,” she said.

UF nursing senior Valentina Lang said she wanted to go to the event because she loves beer.

The 21-year-old saw the name of the fundraiser online and clicked she was going. If it weren’t for a birthday dinner on the same night, she said she would attend.

“I wouldn’t miss an opportunity to drink beer under a mammoth for just anything,” she said.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo