UF alumnus Kenneth Treister believes art and architecture should be one in the same, like a married couple.

Treister, an artist-meets-architect who graduated from UF in 1953, will speak tonight about his work in architecture, which is summarized in his book, "The Fusion of Architect and Art: The Judaic Work of Kenneth Treister." The lecture will be held in Smathers Library, Room 100, at 6 p.m. He will not be paid.

Students can buy signed copies of the book, said Rebecca Jefferson, the head of the Isser and Rae Price Library of Judaica, who helped plan the talk. Treister doodles in each book to make it personal.

Jefferson said she hopes attendees learn how Treister combines art and architecture, making spaces both functional and beautiful.

"Kenneth has so much to teach," she said. "He’s somebody who is worth listening to."

First-year UF sustainable design graduate student Asish Asutosh said he is looking forward to attending.

"Coming from a civil engineering background, it’s great to learn how to combine art in the designs of structures," the 23-year-old said.

Treister was awarded a gold medal in 2013 by the Florida Association of the American Institute of Architects for his work in architecture.

"There’s an emotional component to the combination of art and architecture," Treister said, "I want students to be able to hear about it and feel it."