UF colleges host paper-airplane competition to raise money

<p>Mariana Franz, a 20-year-old UF applied physiology and kinesiology junior, tosses her paper airplane outside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Oct. 20, 2015. The College of Journalism and Communications and the College of Health and Human Performance held a paper airplane competition to raise money for the UF Campaign for Charities.</p>

Mariana Franz, a 20-year-old UF applied physiology and kinesiology junior, tosses her paper airplane outside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Oct. 20, 2015. The College of Journalism and Communications and the College of Health and Human Performance held a paper airplane competition to raise money for the UF Campaign for Charities.

Gate 16 of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium functioned as an airplane runway on Tuesday as students and faculty folded and launched paper planes off the stadium ledge.

To raise money for the UF Campaign for Charities, the paper-airplane competition pitted the College of Journalism and Communications against the College of Health and Human Performance. Participants were asked to donate at least $5 to the campaign, which represents about 90 local charities.

"That’s what it’s all about," said Dan Connaughton, HHP associate dean for faculty affairs.

The CJC has organized the event before in its atrium, but this is the first time the two departments collaborated on an airplane contest, said Christine Coombes, HHP director of communications. At the event, HHP raised $120, and CJC raised $50. After the event, HHP raised $920 at a pie-in-the-face event, which gave faculty members a chance to slam whipped-cream pies in each other’s faces, Coombes said.

Former UF President’s wife, Chris Machen, along with Susan Crowley, UF’s assistant vice president for community relations, judged about 30 airplanes on their creativity, aesthetics and performance.

Some attendees took a traditional approach, folding loose-leaf or computer paper, while others used softballs and balloons to boost their chances of success.

"The rules are there are no rules," said Coombes, whose plane was a bendy straw and two paper rings. She helped organize Tuesday’s event. Coombes’ airplane won most creative design.

"I was surprised it even went forward, so that was a win," she said.

After a few planes were launched, Brad Fawver, a doctoral student in the HHP college, tossed his plane. As a child, he said he wanted to be a fighter pilot.

His plane swooped down before bumping into a wall. Then it caught a gust of wind and landed about 70 yards away — placing first.

The HHP college took first place in all three categories. For his efforts, Fawver won a two-night stay at WorldQuest Orlando Resort.

"Not bad for a Tuesday," he said.

Follow Martin Vassolo on Twitter @martindvassolo