UF students are speaking out against domestic violence Wednesday.

As part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, the Institute of Hispanic-Latino Cultures is hosting "Breaking the Silence" to educate students about domestic violence in the Latina community and encourage them to work to end it.

The event, which will be held from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in La Casita, will feature UF Wellness Center psychologist Carlos Hernandez.

One-third of Latinas are affected by domestic violence in the U.S., said Institute of Hispanic-Latino Cultures Ambassador Jessica Valdes.

The 20-year-old UF political science sophomore said she thinks UF students who aren’t from a Hispanic-Latino background may not know how prevalent domestic violence is in the Latina community.

Hernandez will speak at the event about the psychology of domestic violence victims who fear asking for help, Valdes said.

The event will open a discussion about domestic violence, making it easier for victims to come forward, said Sarai Chavarria, the treasurer for the Coalition of Hispanics Integrating Spanish Speakers through Advocacy and Service.

CHISPAS is co-sponsoring the discussion.

"If people are not willing to talk about it, it creates an atmosphere for it to continue," the 25-year-old said.

Chavarria said she thinks a "macho" attitude, where the man sees himself as superior, may contribute to domestic violence in the Latina community.

"I would like people who come to this meeting to leave feeling empowered," she said. "I would like every woman to feel that their voice matters and for more women to support other women."