Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Police arrest local man after fight causes $400 in damage

Gainesville Police arrested a local man early Friday morning after he reportedly slammed an officer into his own car and caused $400 in damages.

At about 5 a.m. Tobreis Fields, 27, told a woman he "does not mess with her" from the back seat of a car, according to a police report.

Standing outside the car, she returned the insult, saying she "sure does not mess with him." Fields stepped out of the car and pushed her face with his hand, according to the report.

After she tried to use a Taser on Fields, he reportedly hit her with a lawn chair several times.

Fields was back in the car when police responded, and they told him to raise his hands.

Fields tried to leave the car after he dropped something that rattled on the floorboard — later identified as a pill bottle with .4 grams of cocaine, according to the report.

An officer started to handcuff Fields, who then tried to pull the officer into the car.

Police pulled Fields out of the car before he grabbed an officer by the waist and lifted him off the ground, according to the report.

He then slammed him on the hood of a patrol car, causing $400 in damage, GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

Fields then stood on the patrol car and punched toward the officers before everyone fell during the struggle, according to the report.

The fight ended when an officer used a Taser on Fields’ back and buttocks before handcuffing him.

Police arrested Fields for charges of criminal mischief, possession of paraphernalia, possession of cocaine, aggravated battery and aggravated assault, along with two charges for battery and three charges for resisting an officer.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remained in lieu of a $258,500 bond.

Police arrest three men for armed robbery, still seek another

Gainesville Police arrested three Bradford men early Friday morning after they reportedly robbed four people at gunpoint.

At about 11:15 p.m. Thursday an unknown driver, whom police are still searching for, stopped in the 100 block of Southeast Fourth Street, GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

The location is one block from the Hippodrome State Theatre and about one mile from the GPD building.

The front passenger, 21-year-old Eugene Jackson, asked two people on the sidewalk for directions to Gator City Sports Grill, according to the email.

Taiviyon Johnson, 19, who was sitting behind Jackson, then pointed a handgun at the people, according to police reports.

Jackson demanded whatever they had, and one of the people gave him an iPhone, which Jackson made him unlock, according to the reports.

About 15 minutes later, the men traveled to the 400 block of Northwest Third Street, where they robbed two more people using similar tactics, according to the reports.

Freddie McCrary, 22, who was sitting next to Johnson, stepped out of the car to pick up bags dropped by the two people, according to a police report.

An officer saw the suspects turn onto Northwest 19th Street where they ran from the car. Another officer, assisted by a police dog, Argos, found Jackson and Johnson hiding in a home’s bushes about four blocks behind Midtown.

Police then found McCrary nearby and found all the stolen items. The gun was never found, according to the email.

Police arrested each man on four charges of robbery with a firearm and took them to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, they each remained in lieu of $2 million bonds.

Police arrest local man after he flaunts stolen goods on Facebook

Gainesville Police arrested a local man Friday afternoon after he reportedly robbed three people at gunpoint and posted about the stolen items on Facebook.

At about 7:30 p.m. Thursday Kevin D. Waters, 20, pointed a gun at three people walking down the street and told them to stay there or be shot, according to a police report.

A man reportedly handed over his chain necklace and $10 in cash but asked to keep his phone, which Waters allowed.

An officer recognized the description of Waters, including a star tattoo associated with Bloods gang members under his right eye, according to the report.

Police searched Facebook and reportedly found him wearing the same clothes from the robbery and the stolen chain described after the robbery in his profile picture.

After saying he never saw the people or the chain, Waters eventually told police he robbed them with a stick, which he later said was actually a fake gun, according to the report.

Waters has an open charge for aggravated battery in a separate incident, according to Alachua County court records.

Police arrested Waters on charges of robbery with a firearm, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, along with two charges of aggravated assault.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a bond of more than $1.6 million.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @gsabella