A local artist co-op will get in the holiday spirit and celebrate its 45 years of business this weekend with a new set of homemade ornaments.

The Artisans’ Guild Gallery, located in Suite 113 at 201 SE Second Place, will hold a holiday open house and anniversary celebration Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.

The gallery is filled with artwork made by the more than 50 gallery members, who are artists who submitted samples of their work and went through an interview process.

Eva Egensteiner, a photographer and one of the board members, said the event will include musical performances. Some of the member artists will demonstrate how their artwork is created.

The biggest draws each year are the handmade ornaments, which cost about $5 to $40, she said. About half of the members make them using mediums such as glass, ceramics, textiles and paper.

Throughout the year, artists usually stick to making art using one or two mediums. But, ‘tis the season — around the holidays, the artists are allowed to deviate from their specialties and try something new.

The event is the gallery’s way of giving thanks to the community for its support. Egensteiner said she hopes it encourages people to become sponsors through Friends of the Artisans’ Guild Gallery, an annual membership that includes invitations to all opening receptions and gallery events.

"We just hope that we have a great community turnout," Egensteiner said.

Anda Chance, a gallery member and artist who uses colored pencils to create realist artwork, has already made some flamingo-shaped pieces to sell at the event for about $8.

"We prefer that (artists) actually make (ornaments) from the beginning," Chance said. "We prefer that they not purchase an ornament and decorate it."

She said people make the gallery a destination during the holidays to pick up one-of-a-kind ornaments that adorn the Christmas trees throughout the gallery.

JoAnn Alarid, a gallery member and artist who makes fused glass jewelry, said she thinks the gallery has stayed open because of the community’s passion for art.

"We each kind of take individual pride in, not just our work, but in the work of the many artists that are involved in the Guild," she said.