Every Tuesday, the orange and blue prefers black and white.

Since Oct. 6, Craig Smith, an associate professor at the UF School of Art and Art History, has been showing films from post-reconstruction World War II Europe on the College of the Arts plaza, located in between the Fine Arts buildings. The next two weeks will host the final showings.

The films, which are all black and white, primarily serve as visual resources for his black-and-white photography and honors uncommon arts courses.

"It’s an open environment for comments and questions; there are individuals from different parts of the university and city," Smith, 43, said."It’s very informal."

All the films come from the UF library collection. Admission is free and screenings are from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Today’s film, "Repulsion," which served as an introduction to the psychological thriller genre, has received criticism because the film’s director, Roman Polanski, fled California in 1978 to avoid sentencing for charges of sexual assault and rape.

"The film depicts a psychological trauma in a very interesting way, regardless of who made it," Smith said.

Students still plan on attending.

"The reason I’m going is because the director is very controversial," said Caroline Nickerson, a 21-year-old UF history and East Asian languages and literatures junior.

Students are also eager to view the film outdoors.

"I’m excited to go to it because I couldn’t imagine a better environment than under the stars to watch a movie," said Jason Wilkotz, a 19-year-old UF art history sophomore.

So far, this venue has been underutilized, Smith said.

The final film, shown next Tuesday, will be "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg."

"Come with a blanket and an open mind," Nickerson said. "A blanket because it’s going to be cold. An open mind because these movies are going to push you a bit."