UF offensive line faces tough test in Alabama defensive line

<p>UF offensive linemen Trip Thurman (63), Tyler Jordan (64) and Mason Halter (75) protect quarterback Treon Harris (3) during Florida's 27-2 loss against Florida State on Nov. 28, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF offensive linemen Trip Thurman (63), Tyler Jordan (64) and Mason Halter (75) protect quarterback Treon Harris (3) during Florida's 27-2 loss against Florida State on Nov. 28, 2015, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Florida’s offensive line has seen its share of ups and downs throughout the season.

Thought to be a weak link at the season’s start, the unit has since become one of the more consistent elements on offense

Coach Jim McElwain said that, for the first time all season against Florida State, the line came together and played with purpose and intensity. Granted, it came during a 27-2 loss against the Seminoles, but the progress has to be encouraging for McElwain, because what awaits No. 18 Florida and its offensive line on Saturday in the Southeastern Conference Championship is a different animal, one that they haven’t seen all year.

No. 2 Alabama boasts one of the best defensive lines in the entire country. They’re big, fast, physical and relentless. It’s been a common theme for the Crimson Tide ever since Nick Saban became their coach in 2007.

McElwain witnessed how good those defensive lines were while working as the offensive coordinator at Alabama from 2008-11.

The only difference he sees in this year’s defensive line is the deeper rotation it has.

"I think it’s just a different year and they put on a different jersey number," McElwain said. "I think what I see this year is more depth. They’re rolling more guys, staying fresher, which is not comforting, because you’d rather see them a little tired."

Alabama leads the country in rushing defense, allowing just 78.9 yards per game while adding 86 tackles for loss this year.

Defensive end Jonathan Allen is third in the SEC with 9 sacks this season and has added 11.5 tackles for loss.

A’Shawn Robinson is a load to handle as well. Even though he doesn’t have the same numbers as Allen does — Robinson has just 3 sacks and 7 tackles for loss — he deserves the same amount of attention because of the havoc he can create.

For the Gators’ offensive line to have any chance against the Crimson Tide’s front, they have to win at the point of attack and adjust to the amount of bodies Alabama throws at them.

"They rotate eight or nine guys on the defensive line," guard Trip Thurman said. "That’s going to be really key for us kind of watching them on film, each guy, knowing their moves and things like that."

What might be working in Florida’s favor is that the offensive line faces one of the country’s better defensive fronts in practice each day: the Gators themselves.

UF also has All-SEC caliber defensive linemen like Jon Bullard, who sits fourth in the conference with 15.5 tackles for loss. Combine him with Bryan Cox Jr., CeCe Jefferson, Caleb Brantley, Joey Ivie and Alex McCalister — before he went down with a foot injury — and the Gators’ offensive line certainly has an advantage heading into the game.

"It’s good we get that look, we get that one-on-one look every week for these past 14 weeks," offensive tackle Mason Halter said of facing UF’s defense in practice.

"We’re definitely prepared, and coach Mac prepared us all through camp and everything like that.

"It’s definitely an advantage and we just have to go out there and prove it."

Just how great that advantage is will be determined when the game kicks off on Saturday at 4 p.m. in the Georgia Dome.

Follow Luis Torres on Twitter @LFTorresIII