<p>Will Grier runs onto the field during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19 at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. West Virginia announced on April 6, 2016, that Grier was transferring to WVU. </p>

Will Grier runs onto the field during Florida's 14-9 win against Kentucky on Sept. 19 at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. West Virginia announced on April 6, 2016, that Grier was transferring to WVU. 

UF quarterback Will Grier, who is in the midst of serving a 12-month suspension for failing an NCAA-sanctioned drug test, will not be with the Gators as they prepare for their Citrus Bowl matchup against Michigan.

But UF coach Jim McElwain said Tuesday that after meeting with Grier late last week, the redshirt freshman quarterback will return to the team on Jan. 5, their first day of practice for the Spring semester.

“It’s tough on everybody,” McElwain said. “Look, you can sit and cry over it or you can move forward and make the best of it. That’s one thing I think he’s doing.”

Grier hasn’t been at practice since being handed the suspension on Oct. 12 while he focused on the appeal process and his academics.

“It’s tough on everybody,” McElwain said. “The poor guy, walking on campus ain’t easy. I just feel sick about it.”

The appeal to have the suspension lessened from a full calendar year to just the 2015 season was denied Nov. 20, meaning Grier won’t be able to compete until Florida’s 2016 homecoming game against MIssouri on Oct. 15.

With Grier ineligible to compete in the first six games of the 2016 season and five-star quarterback recruit Jacob Eason reaffirming his commitment to Georgia, McElwain will explore his other quarterback options for the first half of next season.

Right now, the list includes Treon Harris, Oregon State transfer Luke Del Rio and 2016 commitments Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126