<p>The Stephen C. O'Connell Center on Dec. 3, 2016.</p>

The Stephen C. O'Connell Center on Dec. 3, 2016.

Newell: new crosswalk, bus lane

Renovations for Newell Hall are on schedule.

As part of the renovations, UF combined the Hub’s two bus stops into one and added a raised brick crosswalk during Winter Break, UF spokesman Steve Orlando said. Newell’s renovation, which will cost about $12 million, is expected to be completed in Spring 2017.

The building is being converted into a space for students to study, he said.

Newell, which is the third-oldest building on campus, was constructed in 1910 and vacated in 2012. Mold and asbestos were removed from the building in 2015, Orlando wrote in an email.

“It was in need of lots and lots of work,” he said.

After construction, there will be a new restaurant in the Newell Annex, which is attached to Newell Hall, called Au Bon Pain, according to a project plan. It will serve salads, soup and sandwiches.

The building’s interior will also include new windows, plumbing, fire protection, an electrical system, heating and air conditioning, according to the project plan.

Alberto Barcenas, a UF international studies sophomore, said he was worried when he saw the construction start. He said he thought the historical building would be demolished.

“It’s nice to see that they’re maintaining the structure,” the 20-year-old said. But when he came back from break, Barcenas said he thought the additional raised crosswalk was strange.

“It seems so unnecessary,” Barcenas said. “I feel like that would be more of a nuisance for drivers.”

Barbara Merendino, a UF mechanical engineering junior, said she didn’t care about the renovations.

“There’s so much construction around campus,” the 21-year-old said. “It never seems like the campus is done.”

But Merendino said she’s looking forward to the additional study space. She said Marston Science Library has become overcrowded after it turned into a 24-hour library.

“There needs to be more study spaces on campus, specifically those that are open to all majors,” she said.

O’Connell: new seats, entrance

UF began building a new entrance to the Stephen C. O’Connell Center over Winter Break.

Demolition started on the exterior east side of the O’Connell Center to create a new entrance, wrote UF spokesman Steve Orlando in an email. A ticketing center, concession stand and new seating area are being added.  

The cost for the project is set to be $53.7 million, Orlando said. 

The building’s electrical system is also being updated to reduce energy consumption. Construction is set to finish in December 2016, he said.

Seats with back rests will be installed to replace bleachers, Orlando said. A new video screen and sound system will also be added.

He said the building needed to be updated due to the number of fans it houses.

“There was a need to upgrade the facility and bring it up to the expectations we have for such a high-profile venue,” Orlando said.

Jason Slater, 20, said he attends almost every basketball game at the O’Connell Center. He always sits in the front row of the student section.

“Sitting down in those uncomfortable bleacher chairs, it starts to take a toll on you after a while,” said Slater, a UF construction management sophomore. He said he thinks a first-aid station should be added.

He said he had to walk across the arena to find a first-aid station after injuring his toe during the UF vs. Louisiana State University basketball game Saturday.

But Slater said he was excited for the renovations. He said he thinks the new video screen and sound system will improve other events, such as concerts.

“I think what they’re doing is perfecting that big-stage atmosphere.”

Slater said he thinks the renovations will attract more visitors to the arena.

“The athletic department of UF is so much more than just a fun thing to go to on the weekend,” he said. “It brings these lifelong memories that people will never be able to forget.”

Contact Katelyn Newberg at knewberg@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @k_newberg