Cold weather shelter program houses homeless

Gainesville’s Cold Night Shelter Program’s admission acceptance ended Wednesday after temperatures rose.

The program opened Sunday and offered Gainesville’s homeless residents shelter, breakfast and blankets for four days. The shelters, situated at St. Francis House and Grace Marketplace, close when temperatures rise above 45 degrees.

To prepare for these nights, volunteers stored mats and cleared rooms for extra space at St. Francis House, said John Miller, a staff member at St. Francis House. William Deitenbeck, the case manager for St. Francis House, said they try to see how many people can fit on the floor with cots and mattresses.

During the four days, 169 people stayed at St. Francis House, he said. The shelter holds as many people as it can.

“It is unfortunate that there are no more facilities,” Deitenbeck said. “But we manage with what we have.”

At Grace Marketplace, people slept on the chapel pews and on the floor, said Theresa Lowe, the executive director of the Alachua County Coalition for the Homeless and Hungry.

“There is no max for the CNS Program,” Lowe said. “We open up extra buildings, and we haven’t run out of space yet.”

She said about 18 people stayed the first night, and about 30 people stayed each night after. Harvey Elmore, who stayed at St. Francis House on Wednesday, said he’s been homeless for about four years.

Elmore, 56, said it is “somewhat of a palace for me.”  

Ramime Dehgan, 50, said he’s been homeless for about 15 years. He doesn’t like to stay in shelters but was forced to Wednesday when temperatures dropped.  

“Sometimes it’s nice to feel taken care of,” he said.