Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A judge sentenced a Gainesville man to 270 days in jail Wednesday after police said he beat his puppy to death in June.

On June 11, Meldwige Gregoire, 25, adopted a 4-month-old pit bull mix from Alachua County Animal Services, according to a police report.

The next day, Gregoire stomped on the puppy’s back and hind leg. He then kicked the puppy in the back multiple times before dragging it down a hallway by its leash, according to the report.

Gregoire told police he was punishing the puppy, according to the report.

Two days later, Gregoire returned the puppy to the shelter wrapped in towels and said the puppy died in its crate.

After an autopsy, investigators discovered the dog was killed.

The puppy’s right eye and brain were severely injured. It also had two broken ribs, several broken teeth and bruising on its head and back, according to the report.

Police arrested Gregoire for animal cruelty June 26.

In court Wednesday, 8th Judicial Circuit Judge James Colaw sentenced Gregoire to 270 days in jail, 42 months of probation and anger management classes.

Colaw also prohibited Gregoire from owning animals, living with animals or working with animals, according to court records.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo