Gainesville to honor Carol King with music on Saturday

<p>From left: Local musicians Mike Boulware, Carolina Boulware, Maggie Rucker, Janet Rucker, Heather Hall and Cathy DeWitt (front) and others will be performing all of the songs from King’s album “Tapestry” at 7:30 p.m. in the Historic Thomas Center on Jan. 30, 2016.</p>

From left: Local musicians Mike Boulware, Carolina Boulware, Maggie Rucker, Janet Rucker, Heather Hall and Cathy DeWitt (front) and others will be performing all of the songs from King’s album “Tapestry” at 7:30 p.m. in the Historic Thomas Center on Jan. 30, 2016.

Local musicians will honor Carole King on Saturday.

About 10 artists will perform all of the songs from King’s album “Tapestry” at 7:30 p.m. in the Historic Thomas Center. The tribute marks 45 years since the album’s release in 1971.  

“Carole King’s ‘Tapestry’ album is near and dear to the hearts of the people who lived when it came out,” said Russell Etling, the cultural affairs manager for the City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department. “It’s one of the best selling albums of all time.”

“Tapestry” won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year, and Rolling Stone Magazine ranked it No. 36 on its list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Cathy DeWitt, who coordinated the event, said she looks forward to honoring King. She said King and her albums have been a major influence on her.

“When it came out, it was the first album for a woman to win a Grammy,” she said. “It paved the way for women singers and songwriters.”

Etling said holding the tribute at the Spanish Court in the Historic Thomas Center will make the concert more memorable.

“It is a intimate and beautiful historical structure,” he said. “It’s really a magical experience.”

DeWitt and Etling started planning for the event in September. DeWitt said she expects to see a strong turnout.

“I think it’s going to be pretty crowded,” the musician said. “There has been a lot of buzz about it.”

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @MerylKornfield