<p>JJ Schwarz celebrates with teammates at home plate after hitting the first of his two home runs during Florida's 11-4 win against Florida State on June 6, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

JJ Schwarz celebrates with teammates at home plate after hitting the first of his two home runs during Florida's 11-4 win against Florida State on June 6, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.

Florida’s 2015 season was heartbreaking.

Finishing just one game shy of the College World Series championship, the Gators were forced from Omaha a game too early and empty-handed.

But it was also a season to remember — one of the best UF has ever produced.

Florida finished 52-18 on the year, good for the second-most wins in school history.

Three of those 52 wins stand out against the others.

Then-freshman J.J. Schwarz homered four times in a 22-2 win over Stetson on April 7, setting a school record for most home runs in a game.

On May 24, UF took home its first Southeastern Conference Tournament title since 2011 after defeating defending national champion Vanderbilt 7-3. The contest, bombarded by nearly three hours of rain delays, marked Florida’s third win out of four matchups against the Commodores last season and capped a four-game win streak through the tournament after UF dropped its opener to Arkansas.

Less than two weeks later, the Gators earned a trip to Omaha with an 11-4 win against in-state rival FSU in the Gainesville Super Regional on June 6. UF blasted four homers in the victory, including two from Schwarz.

And now Florida has Omaha in its sights again for 2016.

Nine players were taken in the 2015 MLB Draft, including three key players in outfielder Harrison Bader, shortstop Richie Martin and third baseman Josh Tobias.

But Florida returns a crop of talent to the lineup, headlined by speedy outfielder Buddy Reed and Collegiate Baseball’s Co-Freshman Player of the Year in Schwarz, who led the SEC in RBIs (73) and hit a second-best 18 home runs.

On the mound, UF figures to have one of the most dynamic rotations in the SEC, if not the country.

Juniors Logan Shore and A.J. Puk dominated opponents down the stretch last season, as the two combined to go 20-10. Shore ranked sixth in the SEC with a 2.72 ERA, and Puk’s 104 strikeouts fell in at fifth place in the conference.

Throw in the fact that Florida reeled in the No. 2 ranked recruiting class by Baseball America, and it’s easy to see why the Gators were ranked No. 1 in Collegiate Baseball’s NCAA Division I preseason poll.

UF opens its 2016 campaign on Feb. 19 against Florida Gulf Coast in Gainesville. Florida takes on Florida State three times and clashes with Vanderbilt and LSU for two back-to-back three-game series to end the regular season.

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12