High Dive hosts third anniversary of truck rally

High Dive continued a tradition of food and charity during the Original Gainesville Food Truck Rally’s third anniversary Saturday. 

Charles Smith, the owner of Charlie’s Snow Shack, parked among 10 other trucks. Smith said he’s been to every rally except the first one in 2013.

Since his first rally, Smith said attendance has grown from about 700 to nearly 2,000. 

truck3.jpg

Esther (left), 17, and Emily O'Hearn, 27, share their fries at the third-annual Original Gainesville Food Truck Rally on Saturday

People filled the parking lot of High Dive by 6 p.m., lining up to try both new and beloved foods.  Some patrons voted for their favorite trucks by leaving money in red buckets at each window. 

Money in the buckets went toward Plenty of Pit Bulls, a charity that rescues pit bulls from shelters that would otherwise euthanize them, said Jeremy Schmidt, the charity’s administration and data coordinator.

Bubba Luigi’s Road Trip, which serves Southern Italian fusion food, won a $100 Target Visa card after customers placed $238 in its red bucket. Owner Gill Leander said he’s won seven months in a row by giving donors a discount on their food.

“I tried to tell everyone how well it’s worked, but the other trucks all said they were too busy,” he said.

Still, Leander said his food undoubtedly played a part in the victory.

“This is what I cook at home,” Leander said. “It’s the best of the best — for the best.”

truck2.jpg

Noemi Mello, 61, owner of Les French Crepes, prepares food for customers at the third-annual Original Gainesville Food Truck Rally on Saturday.

Leander’s son-in-law Tyler Benson, who owns a pit bull, said it feels good to support a new charity each month. 

“It is our responsibility to give back to the local community, not just make money,” he said.    

truck4.jpg

Cody Yelton, a local Gainesville resident, sits with her adopted pitbull, Jane, from Plenty of Pit Bulls, at the third-annual Original Gainesville Food Truck Rally. "She fits perfectly with my life," said Yelton.

Nearby, JR Aviles and Rinnie Rodenius waited in line for Charlie’s Snow Shack, Aviles’ favorite stand.     

“Last year, there were not so many people,” Aviles said. “And I love seeing all these dogs.”

While Aviles enjoyed a Skittles-flavored shaved ice, Rodenius soaked in the rally’s atmosphere. 

“The people are really friendly, even if they don’t know you,” Rodenius said.

Attendees wait in line for Cora's Kitchen food truck at the third-annual Original Gainesville Food Truck rally in January, 2016.