Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Police locked down four Alachua County schools Wednesday after an Alachua County man was shot and injured.

At about 9:40 a.m. Wednesday, an unidentified person shot 76-year-old Ulysees Garrison in the 13000 block of Northwest 155th Place, according to an Alachua Police Department press release.

At about 10 a.m., after receiving a call from the man’s family, police locked down four schools near the shooting, said Alachua County Police spokesman Sgt. Jesse Sandusky. Alachua Elementary School, Irby Elementary School, A.L. Mebane Middle School and Santa Fe High School were locked down for about an hour and a half, Sandusky said.

“The schools were immediately put into lockdown since they were a mile within the incident,” he said.

Deputies and police dogs with the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office helped patrol the area, but the suspect’s identity remains unknown, according to the release.

Garrison, who was shot in his midsection, was quickly taken to UF Health Shands Hospital where he underwent surgery for non-life-threatening injuries, according to the release.

“We’re looking over the evidence and waiting to speak with, you know, the victim, once he is able to speak,” Sandusky said. “We’re still trying to identify the suspect.”

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo