Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Police arrest man for attempted murder

A Chicago man was arrested in Gainesville on Tuesday morning after police said he nearly shot someone in the head.

At about 3 a.m. Tuesday, Christian Jamel Harris, 21, entered an unlocked unit of The Laurels, an apartment complex on Southwest 34th Street, according to a police report.

Harris and an accomplice then walked into a bedroom, where they found a man, according to the report.

Harris put his gun to the man’s head and demanded money, according to the report. As the man pushed the gun away from his head, Harris fired.

He narrowly missed the man’s head, but the muzzle flash left a burn on his neck, Gainesville Police spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

Detectives think Harris might have specifically targeted the man, Tobias said.

“This is not a random attack,” he said.

After leaving the unit empty-handed, Harris and his partner tried to get back in through a window, according to the report. From inside, the man’s mother yelled and the intruders left. Police later found Harris hiding in a bush outside the apartment complex. His accomplice was found near the entrance and was not arrested, according to the report.

Police arrested Harris on charges of attempted murder and home invasion robbery with a deadly weapon. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains without bond.

Police: Woman threatens to kill neighbors 

A Gainesville woman was arrested Monday afternoon after police said she swung a hammer and knife around Sunset Apartments.

At about 5 p.m. Monday, Asheeria Jashondrea Henderson, 25, screamed at one of her neighbors who was walking down a stairwell to her own apartment, according to a police report.

“What’s up, p---- hoe?” Henderson said, according to the report.

As her neighbor kept walking, Henderson entered her own apartment and emerged with a hammer, according to the report.

“I will kill one of you hoes,” she said, according to the report.

Henderson again returned to her apartment and grabbed a knife, according to the report.

From an upstairs balcony, Henderson threatened to stab her 19- and 20-year-old neighbors, according to the report.

She later ran across the balcony and spit on one of the women’s chests, according to the report. No one was injured.

Henderson told police her neighbors threatened to fight her, which is why she grabbed the weapons from her apartment, according to the report.

She could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Police arrested Henderson on a charge of battery and two charges of aggravated assault without intent to kill. Authorities took her to the Alachua County Jail where she was released on her own recognizance Tuesday.

Man arrested with 13 ounces of weed

A Kissimmee, Florida, man was arrested Monday night after police said they found three ounces of marijuana in the trunk of his car.

At about 6:30 p.m. Monday, Reynaldo Jordan, 39, followed a car too closely on State Road 93, according to a police report.

After police pulled him over, Jordan gave them permission to search his car, according to the report.

Police with the Gainesville-Alachua County Drug Task Force found about 10 grams of weed in a red sweatshirt in Jordan’s trunk, according to the report.

The weed was packaged in four small bags, according to the report.

After searching further, police found three ounces — 85 grams — of weed in a white envelope that was also in his trunk, according to the report.

Jordan told police he forgot the weed was in his car when he consented to the search, according to the report.

He then told police he uses the weed for medicinal purposes, according to the report.

Police arrested Jordan on a charge of possessing more than 20 grams of marijuana.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $15,000 bond.