Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Editor's note: Lohan's charges were dismissed in March 2016, according to Alachua County Court records.

Student arrested on drug charges near Beaty Towers

University Police arrested a UF student Sunday evening after they found him in possession of a bong and some marijuana on campus.

At about 6:30 p.m. Sunday,  Ryan Joseph Lohan, 19, sat at a picnic table near his Beaty Towers dorm when a police officer walked by and smelled weed, according to a police report.

When the officer walked over to Lohan, who was with a friend, Lohan ran away, according to the report.

The officer caught up to him and returned to the picnic table, where he then realized why Lohan ran, according to the report.

There, the officer found a clear bag of weed, a grinder and a bong, which is commonly used to smoke cannabis, according to the report.

Lohan is listed as a student in UF’s online student directory. He declined to comment.

Police arrested him on charges of possession of less than 20 grams of weed, possession of drug paraphernalia and resisting arrest without violence.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he was released early Monday morning on a $3,000 bond.

UF Alert suspect charged with armed robbery

An incident near Infinity Hall, which was reported through UF Alert, resulted in an arrest early Monday morning.

Police arrested Don Everette Saunders, 27, after they said he robbed a man of $80 and then cut him with a box cutter, according to a police report. At about midnight Monday, Saunders stood outside his home and asked a man if he could borrow a lighter, the report states.

The man walked toward Saunders on Fourth Avenue to hand him a lighter. Saunders then wrapped something around the man’s neck and pulled him into the home’s doorway, according to the report.

The man handed over $80 after demands by Saunders, who then cut the man’s sweater with a box cutter and punched his face. When the man contacted police, he was bleeding from his chest and lips. Police eventually found Saunders walking down Southwest 10th Street near Infinity Hall and, when questioned, Saunders said he was actually raped by the man.

However, authorities confirmed the man’s story after checking Saunders’ address and finding a green box cutter in his purse, according to the report. Police arrested Saunders on charges of armed robbery and took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $50,000 bond.

Gainesville man arrested, hides crack in crotch

Police arrested a Gainesville man after they said he likely used his crotch to sneak drugs into the Alachua County Jail.

At about 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Malcolm C. Pleas Jr., 25, sat in the passenger seat of a car that crashed into a street sign and light pole, according to a police report. When police arrived to the 6100 block of NW 23rd St., Pleas and the driver, Glamourie Gomez, stood outside the car, according to the report.

A strong smell of marijuana drifted from Pleas and Gomez, and the officer told them he was going to search the car, according to the report. Pleas and Gomez tried hiding something between the seat cushions, but an officer stepped in and handcuffed Pleas. In the car, police found marijuana residue on two scales, and a few mostly smoked joints, according to the report.

Police arrested Pleas on charges of tampering with evidence, possessing a controlled substance, possessing drug paraphernalia, possessing less than 20 grams of marijuana and resisting without violence. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he received another charge after staff found a sweaty bag of cocaine and marijuana, which police believe was hidden in his crotch area, according to the report.

As of press time, he remains at the jail in lieu of a $32,500 bond. Gomez, who was arrested on similar charges, was released Monday on her own recognizance.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo