Generic Crime
Generic Crime

The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office announced Monday it will fire Detective Zachary Zedalis and his wife, Sgt. Kathleen Zedalis, after several investigations.

The investigations followed a domestic dispute from July, in which ASO charged his wife with domestic battery, according to a Florida Department of Law Enforcement report.

Zachary Zedalis, a former UF football player, is currently running for sheriff.

An internal investigation found Zachary Zedalis culpable of criminal conduct and untruthfulness, and it found his wife culpable of criminal conduct. However, the FDLE investigation concluded neither should be prosecuted.

Both can appeal their terminations, according to an ASO press release.

Kathleen Zedalis later told ASO that Zachary Zedalis physically abused her on several occasions, according to the FDLE investigation.

Zachary Zedalis called the ASO investigation a “political witch hunt” prompted by his campaign against current Sheriff Sadie Darnell.

“This is just another political ploy by the sheriff to flex her muscle,” Zachary Zedalis said.

He said the initial FDLE investigation found the allegations against him to be baseless. However, ASO spokesman Sgt. Brandon Kutner said Zedalis’ claim isn’t accurate.

Kutner said the FDLE investigation discouraged a prosecution against Zachary Zedalis because a conviction was unlikely.

He said the internal investigation will be released by the week’s end.

“It will become very clear that a criminal act did occur,” Kutner said.

Zachary Zedalis is also under investigation by the Florida Department of Children and Family Services for child abuse, according to the press release. 

Zachary Zedalis denies the allegations.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo