This weekend, doodle for a cause.

352Creates and the “What Are You Gonna Do With That” campaign are hosting a community mural project Friday night at First Magnitude Brewing Company, situated at 1220 SE Veitch St.

Participants will hand-draw pictures on the temporary mural as part of a campaign to raise awareness to maintain creativity in schools.

The “What Are You Gonna Do With That” campaign was founded by Sierra Starkey, 22, and Collin Ciell, 22, as part of an assignment for their Mint Design Studio class. The UF graphic design seniors said at first, they were just trying to raise awareness about general problems within schools.

The project redirected its focus toward awareness and appreciation for creativity.

The mural will exclusively feature pictures — no names or words. It will be drawn using a variety of mediums. If someone cannot think of something to draw, there will be an idea box with drawing suggestions, Starkey said.

“We are art majors; we are concerned with how important education is and how it’s important to stay creative from a young age,” she said.

Starkey and Ciell agreed and said regardless of someone’s major or job, creativity can always be used and appreciated.

Starkey said they hope to encourage all ages to participate and express their creativity.

“It started off by being more directed to kids; we realized that it’s never too late and you are also never too young,” she said.

Shelby Barrett, a 23-year-old UF graphic design senior, said she is excited to see what everyone will draw.

“I’d love to see what everyone else comes up with,” she said. “I think this is a great event for both creatives and non-creatives to come together as a kind of experimental performance art gathering.” 

Barrett said she hopes the event will give an appreciation for the art community.

“Hopefully it’ll shift a gear in their brain and they’ll stick with it because it really is a great inviting community,” she said.  

The first 100 attendees will receive free activity books. The event is open to the general public from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Other artistic events will be occurring throughout the Gainesville area Feb. 26 as part of the single day of community-wide artmaking. Further information can be found on 352Creates’ Facebook page.  

“It’s a night of creativity for everyone,” Starkey said.