Exhibit seeks art from violence survivors

The Alachua County Victim Services and Rape Crisis Center recently invited survivors of interpersonal violence to submit artwork by March 4. 

Ashley Flattery, 26,  a victim advocate counselor, said interpersonal violence ecompasses physical, sexual, emotional and domestic violence.

The exhibit’s opening reception is on March 25 at the Civic Media Center and Wild Iris Books, where it will stay until March 31, according to a press release. The Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art will then host the exhibit from April 5 to April 14. 

She said the free event will display original artwork to recognize Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

“We have seen people come away shaken from learning about something they didn’t know was such a big issue, and people who come and are excited to see a community that understands their experience,” Flattery said. 

Wild Iris Books will host the event for its third year, said co-owner Erica Merrell.

The crisis center will help bookstore employees create calming glitter jars, which are filled with water, food coloring and glitter. 

“It is very natural that we would partner with them and say no to violence,” Merrell, 38, said. 

The Harn Museum will hold a closing ceremony on April 14, Flattery said, when survivors of interpersonal violence can speak during an open mic portion of the reception.

“It has presented a time where they feel compelled and empowered to speak to the community, and it is powerful to watch,” Flattery said.