Free workshop on low-carbon diets to be held Wednesday, part of local food week

The Alachua County Office of Sustainability will host a free workshop Wednesday to educate residents about the benefits of a low-carbon diet.

Forage Farm, a local sustainable agriculture group, will teach people how to shop, cook and diet in a way that reduces their carbon footprint and improves personal health, according to a press release.

From noon to 1 p.m., attendees can bring their own lunch to the Grace Knight Conference Room in the Alachua County Administration Building, situated at 12 SE First St.

Lauren Goldsby, a 20-year-old UF food science and human nutrition sophomore, said she limits her impact on the environment by avoiding red meat and gardening in her backyard.

“Not only does it lower your carbon footprint by not shipping food, but it also saves you money and you feel cool tending your own little baby carbon recycler in your backyard,” Goldsby said.

The event is part of I Love Local Food Week, which consists of near-daily events for residents to learn and get involved, according to the Forage Farm website.

Rachel Wayne, an Alachua County program development specialist, said the event could help the community — even if only a few people learn something new.

Wayne said the workshop is designed for people who work 9-to-5 jobs and want to learn something on their lunch hour.

“It is simply one more tool in the toolbox for people to live a healthy and sustainable lifestyle,” she said.