UF students met Friday night to talk about their experiences facing oppression.

Omega Delta Phi hosted its second Open Mic Night at Little Hall. Each mic night discusses a different topic, with Friday’s titled “Conversation on Systematic Oppression.” During the talk, three panelists led about 15 students in a discussion about systemic oppression and ways to fight against its effects on communities.

Laws, customs and practices can be oppressive if they create discrimination, said Dominique Lindsey-Gonzalez, an event organizer. These practices, enforced by government, laws or police, typically affect marginalized communities or communities without equal access and powers.

Students discussed how they view oppression, their experiences with it and their definition of systemic oppression.

Nicholas Carre, the Student Body treasurer, said voting was once an example of systemic oppression, because poll taxes and literacy tests kept some individuals from voting.

The fraternity hosted the event to educate students about the importance of fighting against systems of oppression, Lindsey-Gonzalez said.

The 20-year-old UF sustainability and the built environment junior said he hoped to inspire students to find an issue they care about. He wants them to learn more about it and do something.

“We don’t want to come off like social justice orders,” he said. “We want to encourage people to learn.”

Carre spoke as a panelist at the event.

The 20-year-old said he hoped the event would motivate students to advocate for change in causes they care about.

Carre said he didn’t see the need to discuss current events, such as Beyonce’s Super Bowl performance, at the panel. He wanted to address systemic oppression as a whole.

He said the issue of systemic oppression is nothing new.

“I don’t need Beyoncé to bring attention to Black Lives Matter,” Carre said. “I can draw attention to it myself when I talk about what I deal with in a classroom.”