Students vote to pie a professor as part of Engineers Without Borders event

Engineers Without Borders is letting students vote for a professor to pie.

The fundraiser aims to raise $500 out of the $13,000 needed to travel to Bolivia in May. The money will go toward purchasing materials to provide residents with water filtration and irrigation systems to grow crops.

The group of seven students going to Bolivia asked five UF professors to participate in the fundraiser, said Caroline Young, a UF mechanical engineering senior. Students can donate $1 on the Plaza of the Americas this week to pick which of the professors will have a whipped-cream pie thrown at them at 11 a.m. Friday on Turlington Plaza.

“We thought it would be a fun way to get the rest of our school involved with our project,” the 22-year-old said.

Aaron Thomas, a UF chemical engineering senior, said he will travel to Bolivia for the third time with the group this summer. On the trip, he will monitor the equipment installed to filter water.

“It’s cool that I can also say that I’m the one that will be using the money, so I can for sure tell you where it’s going,” the 22-year-old said.

Young said if the group reaches its goal of $500, they’ve gotten permission to throw a pie at another UF faculty member.

“If we reach that amount, then we’re also going to pie President Fuchs, which would be really cool,” she said.