UF ranks second for number of Fulbright Scholars

When Don Behringer found out he was a Fulbright Scholar last March, he was elated.

“I was on cloud nine when I found out that I got it,” said the UF associate professor, who now lives in England with his family.

Behringer, 46, was one of eight UF faculty members selected as Fulbright Scholars, a prestigious program that allows faculty, students and scholars to do research abroad. The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked UF second among research institutions producing the most scholars.

Arizona State University at Templeton ranked No. 1 with 10 scholars in the 2015-2016 school year.  

UF environmental horticulture professor Charles Guy, a 2012-2013 scholar, said being a scholar is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

“To be a Fulbright Scholar and to win the Fulbright is a prestigious award,” he said, adding the ranking recognizes the quality of UF’s faculty.

Guy, who went to Chile for his program, said the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, the International Center and representatives from the graduate schools work together to encourage faculty, students and staff members to apply.  

“We have good faculty, and we work on problems that are worldwide problems,” Guy said.

Behringer said he knew it was a long shot when he applied to the program.

During his time in England, he’s traveled to the East Coast to research marine pathogens.

“I think it shows that the University of Florida has a tremendous global presence,” Behringer said.

Guy said groups across campus are working together to help UF rise in the ranks.

“We’re working to try to increase the number of awards so we can actually become    No. 1,” he said.