UF swimming and diving hoping to collect conference crown

<p>Khalia Warner dives during Florida’s meet against Auburn on Jan. 23, 2016, in the O’Connell Center.</p>

Khalia Warner dives during Florida’s meet against Auburn on Jan. 23, 2016, in the O’Connell Center.

After nearly five months of regular-season competition, the Gators finally begin their championship quest.

Today marks the first day of the five-day Southeastern Conference Championships in Columbia, Missouri, for the No. 5 men’s team and the No. 9 women’s team.

"It’s by far the deepest (competition)," UF coach Gregg Troy said.

"The top is as every bit as good, if not better, than every time before and it extends much deeper. It’s a highly competitive meet."

The Florida women’s team is considered one of the favorites to overthrow defending champion Georgia.

While the Gators suffered a 169-129 defeat to the No. 1 Bulldogs back on Oct. 30, they finished their season with a 4-1 conference record, including three-straight conference victories.

Senior diver Kahlia Warner will have a chance to get the women’s team off to a good start in day one’s diving competitions.

Warner has shown improvement this season, capturing 15 total victories — four more than last season.

Her performances on the boards will be vital if the women’s team hopes to capture its first conference championship since 2009.

Meanwhile, the men’s team will look to capture its fourth-straight SEC title under Troy.

While the team enters the conference meet as the three-time reigning champions and is currently ranked in the top five nationally, the Gators have had mixed results this season, unlike last year.

Heading into the conference meet last season, the men’s team was 4-1 against SEC teams during the regular season.

This season, the men’s team went 2-2 against SEC opponents.

The losses were to No. 3 Georgia and No. 6 Auburn, the two biggest threats to end Florida’s championship streak.

However, the Gators have two new pieces that may help them retain their conference championship for a fourth season.

Jan Switkowski, who transferred from Virginia Tech, is fourth on the team in total victories.

The sophomore is also one of only three swimmers on the men’s roster who has at least nine victories in both individual and relay events.

While Switkowski admits that winning close races has been the team’s biggest flaw this season, he feels it is an obstacle the team can overcome.

"I think if we can clean up those things," Switkowski said, "we can win the (SEC)."

Contact Sean Doty at sdoty@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @TheRealSeanDoty