Alcohol may be sold at Gator games - but only for premium seats

You could be able to drink beer at UF men’s basketball and football if you’re willing to spend more than $1,500.  

On April 1, UF’s Board of Trustees will vote to decide whether beer and wine sales will expand to premium seat ticket holders in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center and the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

At the stadium, there are a total of 4,963 premium seats, which are $330 per season, wrote Steve McClain, the senior associate athletic director, in an email. But ticketholders must also have contributed $2,250 to Gator Booster Inc., the fundraising group of the University Athletic Association.

In the O’Connell Center, a total of 668 premium seats require contributions ranging from $1,500 to $12,500. Ticket prices for the 2016-17 season have not been announced as of press time.

The UAA and Business Affairs proposed expanding beer and wine sales to premium seat sections, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes wrote in an email.

“If approved, the University Athletic Association will offer that as an additional amenity for those premium ticket-holders,” she said.

The change comes with the new renovation of the O’Connell Center, which will include catered food service, private restrooms and direct views to the court, among other amenities.

The sales will start at the third quarter of football games and at the 

start of the second half of men’s basketball games. 

It isn’t the first time alcohol would be allowed at UF sporting events. Currently, suite holders in the stadium can drink beer and wine with some restrictions.

The ban on alcoholic beverage sales stems from the SEC alcohol policy, which states: “No alcoholic beverages shall be sold or dispensed for public consumption anywhere in the facility, and the possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the public areas of the facility shall be prohibited.”

Clay Griffis, 22, said he read about the new expansion of beer and wine sales, but wasn’t sure who would be able to take advantage of it. He hasn’t missed a home football game while at UF.

Once he realized it was only for premium seat ticketholders, the UF mechanical engineering senior said he doesn’t think students will see much of a difference.

“I don’t think it’ll affect me as a student,” he said. “I just don’t think I’ll notice.”

But he said he thinks the proposal will bring in bigger crowds and more revenue.

“I honestly don’t think it’s gonna be a big deal for students,” he said.

Contact Melissa Gomez at mgomez@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @MelissaGomez004