The Heavener School of Business will get a new associate dean and director.

Brian Ray, the associate dean and director of the school, will step down at the end of Spring. A new director will be appointed during Summer C, said John Kraft, the dean of the Warrington College of Business.

Ray said he will continue to teach as a lecturer for the school’s leadership and ethics classes. He has served as the associate dean and director for 17 years and has always wanted to teach.

“Now is the right time to pursue that passion and joy,” he said. “I am really excited about teaching leadership and ethics.”

Ray has improved the college by starting Warrington Welcome, the introductory class for new business students, Kraft said. He also began requiring business students to study abroad.

“He has done a fantastic job,” said Kraft. “We will miss him.”

Kraft said he’s appointed a search committee to find a replacement for Ray. The committee is only selecting from candidates already at UF.

“The new director will be leading the program and hopefully continue improving the program,” Kraft said.

Ray said he’s looking forward to learning who the committee selects.

“Any time you have a transition in leadership positions, you have an opportunity for someone to bring in new ideas,” he said. “That can only be a positive thing.”

@merylkornfield 

mkornfield@alligator.org