Law students dunk dean, try new foods at multicultural fair

<p>Kelsey Pena, right, the treasurer of UF’s Association of Public Interest Law, serves a student shepherd's pie, which was part of the Ireland table at the 10th Annual Multicultural Fair at the Levin College of Law on Tuesday.</p>

Kelsey Pena, right, the treasurer of UF’s Association of Public Interest Law, serves a student shepherd's pie, which was part of the Ireland table at the 10th Annual Multicultural Fair at the Levin College of Law on Tuesday.

Law students dunked UF College of Law’s Dean Laura Rosenbury at the 10th Annual Multicultural Fair on Tuesday. 

About 750 people attended the event, where students dunked the dean for the first time. 

The fair raised $400 for a sports law conference taking place April 4 that will discuss entertainment and sports media law. 

About 43 UF law organizations chose countries to educate students about. They created posters about their countries and provided dishes from them, said Andy Schein, the president of the Law College Council. 

Kelsey Pena, the treasurer of UF’s Association for Public Interest Law, served students shepherd’s pie from Ireland. 

Other tables offered tacos, meat pies, plantains and ginger beer to give students a taste of each country.

Clubs had to purchase dishes from restaurants or vendors, Schein said. Because of this, they were each given about $100 to buy food.

Each club also submitted a poster — decorated with its country’s colors — that displayed legal and fun facts.

Schein said the fair was a nice break for law students before they start preparing for finals.

“Everybody buckles down for finals; no one even leaves the library or their house, so it’s good to have people out here now,” the 24-year-old said.

Anne-Marie Kabia,  the director of communications for the Black Law Student Association, said she liked meeting others at the fair.

“It’s nice just to be out here and to get to know about other organizations and to connect and network with other students,” the 26-year-old UF law student said.