Library West opens video filming studio

<p>The new One Button Studio in Library West room 142 opened last week to students. To use $15,800 system, students plug an 8 GB flash drive into a video camera to compress and save the recording on the flash drive.</p>

The new One Button Studio in Library West room 142 opened last week to students. To use $15,800 system, students plug an 8 GB flash drive into a video camera to compress and save the recording on the flash drive.

Quintino De Sousa filmed a commercial for an app-development contest using Library West’s new video software.

The system, called One Button Studio, became accessible to students last week in Room 142, said Stacey Ewing, the associate chair of Library West. To use the software, students plug a  flash drive into a video camera to compress and save the recording onto the flash drive.

The system cost $15,800 to buy, with $10,000 covered by an internal grant and the rest through a partnership between Smathers Libraries and UF Academic Technology, she said.

Students can also use a green screen in the room to customize their videos, Ewing said. The room can be reserved on the Dibs system.

Only a couple students have used the system so far, she said.

“This week is a soft launch, so we expect room usage to pick up over the next few weeks as word gets out.” Ewing said.  

De Sousa, a 25-year-old UF advertising junior, said he thinks the room is the best-kept secret on campus.

“I was in total awe when I stepped in the room,” De Sousa said. “Everything was just so easy to use, and all the librarians were so happy that we were using the room.”