garage_map
garage_map

UF students and faculty may have a new parking garage in two years.

UF’s Transportation and Parking Services is planning a new garage near the McCarty buildings and the Rawlings bus stop, said Scott Fox, the director of Transportation and Parking Services. The garage is in the development stages and exact costs haven’t been determined.  

Fox said he expects this would help with UF’s lack of parking.

“We are always looking ahead at ways to maintain our parking supply,” Fox said.

The garage would replace some of the parking that has been lost in the last few years, including 110 spaces lost to the construction of a new chemistry building on University Avenue, he said.

Garages are preferred to parking lots, because they use space more efficiently, he said.

“We have tried to replace parking that has been lost in the campus core with garages on the perimeter,” he said. “Now we find we look back to the campus core and provide parking to support that area.”

Transportation and Parking Services is working on designing and getting funding for the garage, he said. It will also determine what decals the garage will cover.

Ben Ankus, a UF biology junior, said he is excited to have parking near Marston.

“It’s great because it will be next to one of the two (main) libraries on campus,” the 20-year-old said. “It’s a good thing.”

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @MerylKornfield