Nelson Maldonado hits two home runs as Gators beat Kentucky

<p>Nelson Maldonado bats during Florida's 4-3 win against Missouri on March 18, 2016, at McKethan Stadium. </p>

Nelson Maldonado bats during Florida's 4-3 win against Missouri on March 18, 2016, at McKethan Stadium. 

Nelson Maldonado is building a reputation of coming through with big hits in opportune times.

Against Kentucky on Friday, Maldonado launched a game-tying solo home run in the top of third. In the next inning, Maldonado hit his second big fly of the game to give No. 1 Florida breathing room as the Gators beat the Wildcats 12-5 in Lexington to open a three-game series.

With the win, UF (23-1, 4-0 Southeastern Conference) has now won 17 games in a row and continues its best start in program history.

Maldonado had a career-high three hits on the night with the two homers and three RBIs. He raised his batting average from .173 to .211.

“Nelly obviously had a great night,” O’Sullivan said. “He hit two home runs, he hit on balls the other way and we were patient with a really good pitcher on the mound.”

Wildcats starting pitcher Zack Brown went into his start against Florida allowing just one home run in five starts, but he gave up the two to Maldonado on Friday night.

But before Maldonado became the star of the game, the Gators had to fight back.

Kentucky (15-6, 2-2 SEC) opened the scoring when Tristan Pompey hit an RBI single in the bottom of the second as UK jumped on Florida starting pitcher Logan Shore.

Then, Maldonado and the UF offense took over. The freshman tied the game up at one apiece when he launched his third home run of the year to right field. Three batters later, Buddy Reed gave Florida a 2-1 lead when he hit a RBI single up the middle, scoring Jonathan India from third.

JJ Schwarz added the Gators’ third run in the inning with an RBI groundout.

“We gave up one in the first … but really pleased with how we responded there in the top of the third,” O’Sullivan said.

Maldonado hit his second home run of the game one inning later giving Florida a 5-1 lead, allowing Shore (5-0) to find his groove. At one point, the junior retired 10 in a row and had three straight 1-2-3 innings.

However, he ran into trouble in the top of the sixth after he allowed the first three Wildcats to reach base. The Coon Rapids, Minnesota, native was replaced by Kirby Snead after allowing a two-run single to Gunnar McNeill, cutting Florida’s lead to 7-3.

“I thought (Shore) was really sharp the first five innings, but obviously … he walked the leadoff man and followed up with a walk after that, those things happen,” O’Sullivan said. “The biggest thing is in a night like tonight, the walks and the hit by batter are really what got the innings for both teams because it was a tough night to hit.”

The Gators’ bullpen held Kentucky as Snead, Dane Dunning and Michael Byrne combined to throw four innings of one-run ball, allowing just two hits while striking out four.

Florida added five more runs in the top of the ninth with India providing a bases clearing triple.

“I thought our approach was very good tonight,” O’Sullivan said. “... We separated ourselves there in the ninth and it was just a really, really good overall win for our team.”

Game 2 between Florida and Kentucky is set for 2 p.m. on Saturday. A.J. Puk (1-1, 1.88 ERA) will draw the start for the Gators.

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.

Contact Luis Torres at ltorres@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @LFTorresIII.