Generic Crime
Generic Crime

University Police arrested a UF employee Tuesday after police said a gun was found in a jacket she left in the Reitz Union.

At about 4:30 p.m. Monday, police responded to a call from someone who found a jacket in a public hall of the Student Government Office, which was left by Michele Williams, 46, according to a police report.

The man called police after he saw a gun in the jacket’s right pocket, according to the report.

Police identified the gun as a loaded Ruger LCP .380 pistol and then called Williams to the campus police department, according to the report.

Williams, who does not have a concealed weapons permit, told officers she brought the gun to campus and left it in her purse all day before leaving without it, according to the report.

She is listed as a staff member in the UF Directory. As of December 2015, Williams is also listed in an official Student Activities request guide as a senior fiscal assistant for SG.

As of press time, she could not be reached for comment. 

Authorities arrested Williams on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon and a misdemeanor for unsafe storage of a firearm. Authorities took her to the Alachua County Jail, where she was released Tuesday afternoon on a $6,000 bond.

Correction: In an earlier version of this article, Williams was incorrectly reported as a UF faculty member.