Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Police arrested a Gainesville woman early Sunday morning after they said she drove drunk and on the wrong side of Interstate 75 with her 11-month-old child in the car.

At about 3 a.m., Melinda Maria Bradley, 34, drove southbound on a northbound lane of the highway, according to the report.

When police found her near mile marker 383, Bradley stopped on the side of the road, according to the report.

Police smelled alcohol on Bradley, who had slurred speech and droopy eyes, according to the report.

As Bradley struggled to stand, police conducted field-sobriety exercises, according to the report. Bradley was arrested for driving under the influence after she failed the tests.

Police then noticed the child, who is just under a year old, sitting in the backseat of Bradley’s black Mazda, according to the report. The child was not injured.

Bradley could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Police added a charge of child neglect without great bodily harm to Bradley’s first offense.

A breathalyzer test showed Bradley’s blood-alcohol levels were .202 and .193, according to the report.

Authorities took her to the Alachua County Jail where she was released Sunday on a $35,000 bond.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo