Update: The Alligator has a new address

Campus Communications, Inc., the publisher of The Independent Florida Alligator, is set to begin leasing a space at 2700 SW 13th St.

The independent student newspaper will begin publishing from the new space May 9, following the February sale of its current building at 1105 W. University Ave. to SMLC, LLC for $1.4 million.Patricia Carey, the paper’s general manager, signed the contract recently.

Carey said the lease amount was not public and could not be disclosed.  

The contract entails a four-year leasewith CA Florida Holdings, Inc. dba The Ocala StarBanner. Carey said the location was chosen because it meets the needs of the paper and its staff.

“The space we are leasing was already set up to function (as) a newspaper business facility,” she said, citing space for paper archives and enough parking for the students and professional staff among the paper’s needs.

Several news organizations, including The Gainesville Sun and Gainesville Magazine, are already operating in the building. The Alligator’s space in the building is 3,288 square feet, roughly the same size as the University Gallery.

This is not the first move for the Alligator since its independence in 1973. After moving off-campus, the paper eventually moved to the former Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity house on West University Avenue, two blocks east of campus.

“I’m just excited for the Alligator to have the opportunity to relocate there,” Carey said.

The lease begins April 1.