Paynes Prairie Visitors Center completes first renovations

prarie_map.png
prarie_map.png

The first phase of renovations for Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park’s Visitor Center since the 1980s is complete, and it cost about $700,000.

The renovated center, located at 100 Savannah Blvd. in Micanopy, Florida, will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday at 10 a.m. The center will be open to the public Thursday.

David Jowers, the park manager, said the center looked outdated before the renovations.

“We wanted it to be warmer and friendlier and more inviting from the moment the person walked in,” he said.

The first phase of the renovated center was funded by grants and donations, said Amber Roux, the prairie’s park services specialist. 

The second phase will also cost about $700,000 and will focus on updating the exhibits in the center. Money needs to be raised for the second phase of renovations, Roux said.  

The center’s exhibits — which feature different ecosystems in the park — were expanded, but the displays have yet to be fully updated because of lack of funding. Roux said the renovations to the center’s entrance, desk area and bathrooms make the center more accessible.

“It is a huge improvement to the park as far as our ability to … educate and inspire visitors about the various elements of the park,” she said.