Statement Sweep: No. 2 Florida defeats No. 1 Texas A&M

<p>Florida players celebrate during the team's 10-7 win over Texas A&amp;M on April 3, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Florida players celebrate during the team's 10-7 win over Texas A&M on April 3, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.

JJ Schwarz had been struggling at the plate during Southeastern Conference play.

The sophomore was hitting a paltry .161 (5-for-31) heading into Sunday’s game.

But with his team needing a big hit, he picked a good time to break out of his slump.

Schwarz delivered the go-ahead RBI single to right field to give Florida an 8-7 lead.

UF added two more runs in the inning as part of a four-run rally, and the No. 2 Gators completed the sweep over No. 1 Texas A&M, 10-7, extending their program-record home winning streak to 27 games.

Schwarz went 2-for-4, driving in two runs, but he credited a bloop single down the right-field line in Saturday’s win — his lone hit in the series up to that point — for giving him confidence heading into the series finale.

"I think all my confidence came from the hit yesterday," Schwarz said.

"Just one little hit like that can fuel the fire. I was really locked in in pre-game today because I knew I was going to have a big day. It just takes off all the pressure on your shoulders."

The sophomore got off to a quick start.

In the bottom of the first, he ripped a double down the left-field line to open the scoring for Florida as part of a two-run first inning.

However, things got tricky for the Gators (27-3, 7-2 SEC) from there.

Starter A.J. Puk threw one pitch in the second before coach Kevin O’Sullivan and the trainer made a trip to the mound.

Puk was seen rubbing his back with his glove and had to leave the game because of back spasms. He was replaced by freshman Brady Singer.

Puk threw 10 pitches during his one-plus inning of work, but O’Sullivan was impressed with what he saw in his short outing, which included two strikeouts in the first inning.

"The one word to describe the 10 pitches was like, ‘wow’. This is going to be pretty good today,’" O’Sullivan said.

From there, the Aggies (22-6, 4-5 SEC) took control.

Ryne Birk laced a two-run double as part of a four-run third inning.

After Florida retook the lead at 5-4, Birk struck again in the fifth.

Birk followed up a J.B. Moss triple with a two-run shot to right-center, giving the Aggies a 6-5 lead.

Four batters later, Michael Barash restored the two-run lead with an RBI double.

But even though they were forced to rally for the second time in the game, there was no worry in the Gators’ dugout.

"We’re always really confident in our guys," Peter Alonso, who went 8-for-12 in the series, said.

"We believe in each other, we got really good chemistry and we’re an extremely competitive group. … We’re always striving to win games."

Florida grabbed the lead for good in the seventh inning, scoring four runs on three hits. The Gators recorded 12 hits for the third straight day, giving them 36 for the series.

"Hitters were swinging the crap out of the ball, not just today, the whole weekend," Schwarz said.

Shaun Anderson pitched the final two innings for the Gators, striking out the side in the ninth, and earned his sixth save of the season.

"It could’ve been easy once again to kind of have a let down and (win) the first two games, but they battled," O’Sullivan said.

"It was impressive. It makes me feel good that they’re going to continue to fight for 27 innings against a really good Texas A&M team."

Contact Luis Torres at ltorres@alligator.org and you can follow him on Twitter @LFTorresIII.