Marston Science Library and Library West are competing to become UF’s favorite library.

And students get to decide who wins.

On Monday, the George A. Smathers Libraries launched a survey asking for students to choose whether they prefer Marston or Library West to be open 24/5 during the upcoming Fall and Spring semesters.

Laura Spears, an assessment librarian, said the libraries worked with Student Government to create a survey that would ask students and potential library users.

“We really want to make a decision that meets our users’ needs because that’s No. 1,” she said. “We’re really interested in making sure we get accurate information.”

The survey ends Tuesday.

Alex Castro, a 23-year-old UF second-year law student who works at Marston, said he’s seen the library’s population grow over the years. Castro said he thinks it has to do with Marston’s Collaboration Commons on the first floor.

Stan Morisseau, 18, said he likes Library West because it’s less congested than Marston.

“Honestly, I prefer Library West a little bit more, because I like the atmosphere,” the UF mechanical engineering freshman said.

He added that he understands Marston’s central location makes it easier for students to access. But he’s still a fan of Library West.

“I think if West was 24/5, I think it’d be a lot better,” he said. “It’s just a really good environment.”

@MelissaGomez004 

mgomez@alligator.org