Students in Fletcher living with mold, no comment from UF officials

In Fletcher Hall, students wage war against green and black demons.

It’s on their clothes, hats and pillows. The fuzzy bits of mold devour books and slip between sheets.   

Donovan Kryak sleeps with them every night. The 20-year-old UF computer science sophomore moved into Fletcher in Fall.

“I’m essentially living in a petri dish,” he said. “It’s more than just a general nuisance. When it affects my health it actually gets in the way.”

Kryak’s said his housing fee is covered by Florida Prepaid, but he’s decided to move off-campus after having to put up with the mold.

On May 1, he’ll move out of Fletcher Hall. And he’s counting down the days.

“I’m moving into an apartment because I just can’t deal with the on-campus stuff anymore,” he said.

UF Spokeswoman Janine Sikes said she couldn’t comment specifically on mold in Fletcher because she isn’t aware of the entire situation.

But she said UF deals with mold-type issues in buildings across campus due to the university’s age and climate.

“We are one of the oldest campuses in Florida,” she said. “We do tend to have more of those kinds of issues than other universities or newer universities. 

The UF Physical Plant, iService and Environmental Health and Safety are used to remedy the problem, she said.

Alexandra Nelson, a resident in Fletcher, deals with the mold herself. 

The 19-year-old UF biology sophomore said she’s found it behind her door, bed posts and her pillowcase.

“It’s really a lot of mold. I try to clean it as best as I can,” Nelson said.

She said she doesn’t consider the mold a major issue, but two others on her floor have moved out.

“When you live in a dorm that’s this old, that’s just going to be a problem,” she said.  

Sharon Blansett, assistant to the associate vice president for Student Affairs, wrote in an email that 166 students live in Fletcher.

She said students with mold should submit an iService request. She declined to comment specifically about whether students have used the maintenance service for mold and what’s being done to prevent it.

Craig Ashmeade returned to his dorm after Winter Break to a bed covered in mold.

Ashmeade, who’s been living in Fletcher since Fall, has spent time washing his hats, sheets and pillowcases, the 21-year-old UF electrical engineering junior said.

“As far as living conditions go, it’s a big deal. No one likes mold in their room. It’s a little stressing,” he said. 

@MelissaGomez004

mgomez@alligator.org